The Anzac Connection
The History of Anzac in Tinui
Tinui was the first place in the world to have a formal celebration of Anzac Day. In 1914 there were over a thousand single men in the area, many volunteered for the Services and some lost their lives. In 1916 Rev. Basil Ashcroft held an Anzac ceremony at Tinui and erected a cross. While the original cross has been replaced a more modern cross is located in the same position on the hill overlooking the village.
The popularity of Anzac Day at Tinui has been growing with 450 attending the ceremony in 2009 and 2000 in 2015. Considering there are less than 25 permanent residents in Tinui that's an impressive turnout.
The Tinui Parish Anzac Trust was established with the assistance of Mr Brian Cunningham in August 2010 and is now registered as a charitable trust.
Walk to the Memorial Cross
We encourage visits to the Anzac Cross which is accessible through the Tinui Anzac Walkway. See our For Visitors page for further information.
Anzac Day 2017
The 101st ANZAC service at Tinui was attended by 1400 people who heard Major Steve Fisher of Queen Alexanra’s Mounted Rifles give the address. Major Fisher paid tribute to those who had fallen and outlined what the modern New Zealand Army looks like.
The Reverend Steve Thomson conducted the service with his usual simple and dignified presentation.
At precisely 11 am during Reveille three vintage WW1 bi-planes flew over Tinui, round the Cross on Tinui Taipo and then over the village again.
After the ceremony a scrumptious morning tea was presented by the Tinui Country Women’s Institute which everyone enjoyed.
A large contingent then climbed the hill to the Cross and a view of the village where ANZAC at Tinui all began.
Get the Centenial Book
Available from Hedley's bookshop in Masterton for just $30. All proceeds to the Tinui Anzac Trust for the continued preservation and maintenance of the Tinui-Anzac Walkway.